Random musings and activities of a 30 something mom, potential sprint triathlete, vegetarian, dog and cat owner, and a evolving urban homesteader just trying to do the right thing in life for my daughter and the world around us. If the blog seems random, it's because life is and hits us all at 100mph.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Work Travel messes with my tri-training

First of all, to get to a 7am PAC breakfast, that means a 5am run on EASTERN time (I'm a CST kind of girl).

Then, the hotel gym and pool are only open 9am-9pm, so that means no weights or swimming while here, because frankly I'm working from 7am-11pm (yes, we finally finished our dinner at 11pm last night). There's only so many squats, situps, and crunches I can do in my room before getting bored.

Alcohol. There's a lot of it here. It's free. Everyone is doing it. Hard to resist "just one" glass of wine (because it doesn't seem to stop there). The first reception of the NGFA I did have tonic and lime with the intent to run later, but again, a late dinner with customers derailed that plan.

I know being "off" for 3 days wouldn't hurt a normal person, but I already get sidetracked from my planned workouts with just normal mommyness stuff that comes up. I swear that if it wasn't for lunchtime workouts, I would never be able to do this. Even those gets sidetracked by the activity the pays my mortgage. Some days, it's just too hard to leave the office and walk the 100 yards to the gym. I need to be better about walking away from 75 minutes. No one will die.

So, heading home today then my next challenge is not to be too sidetracked by my dad being in town for the first time in years. He'll just have to understand, and maybe even come run with me ;)

So, today wasn't a total loss. Up at 520, run 3.5 miles, PAC breakfast at 7am, then general session at 8am..... I'm on a roll!

(isn't it great that I can post this from my blackberry while listening to the blah blah blah of legislative concerns within our industry?)

2 comments:

Sam said...

Welcome to the Nerds! It's a great group and lots of fun.

If you're looking for a good "noob" run, Mon and Tues at SMP are a good place to start. The trails are much easier than at Wyco, but don't let Wyco scare you too much.

I personally like Thurs at Wyco the best - it's a little bit wilder. My husband and I are there almost every week. *Hint hint* :)

Good luck with tri training and I hope to meet you on the trails!

Sam Horowitz said...

Carrying over from our quick exchange on twitter last week... Keep in mind that if you are traveling, doing any kind of training will allow you to hold on to your general fitness.

If you are forced to do the treadmill, stairmaster, or elliptical because you can't get outside or don't have access to a bike or a pool, that's fine.

The trick is just to not freak out and try to make up all the missed workouts. That's a recipe for injury and burnout. Once they're gone, they're gone.

As long as you're getting your long run, swim and bike in each week, you should be fine.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails Share

Post-Tri Hug

Post-Tri Hug
You did it Mommy!

Me!

Me!
Hood To Coast Relay 2007

Quotes as I come across them......

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, an hour, a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it last forever.” ~~~Lance Armstrong

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~~~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like running because it's a challenge. If you run hard, there's the pain----and you've got to work your way through the pain. You know, lately it seems all you hear is 'Don't overdo it' and 'Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond." ~~~Bob Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers general manager, NHL Hall of Famer. (Will-Weber's "Voices From the Midpack" chapter.)

The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don’t define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.~~~Denis Watley

Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. ~~~Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)

Twitter-me-do...

Bloggers' Rights at EFF

Twitter

Followers

Share