Random musings and activities of a 30 something mom, potential sprint triathlete, vegetarian, dog and cat owner, and a evolving urban homesteader just trying to do the right thing in life for my daughter and the world around us. If the blog seems random, it's because life is and hits us all at 100mph.
Monday, March 16, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Letter to the swimming Gurus


Dear Authors of the dozens of swimming plans I have found on the internet;

What you're posting is not a true beginning workout. A 500m warmup? I can barely swim to the end when I started at the end of Janyuary, and you want me to do that how many times?

You want me to change up with a butterfly stroke then a what-stroke? Um, freestyle is the only thing I've (barely) figured out because a loose version of it is what I use at the lake or in the ocean.

exhibit A : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=181 (typical, not atypical).

I can cycle a century.

I can run a marathon (um, maybe on that one).

Swim 1600m in the pool? FAIL.

When someone approaches me about running, I can point them to Runners World for beginning programs. A walk/run interval program. The couch to a 5k program. I could go on and on about which programs and the pros/cons of each.

Cycling? I could join a spin class and get an idea of how I'm doing. Local shops have programs for beginners. I could go on and on about resources here too.

Swimming? Short of hiring a private coach or ordering TI DVDs, I am surprised by the lack of true beginner programs out there. After 6 weeks, I am happy I can swim 150m. (granted, I had to learn to freestyle first and ended up in a 4 session class on the basics), but supposedly I should be swimming a mile by now. I'm not a couch potato. This shouldn't be this hard. It is easier than when I first started blogging about my first tri experience in Jan, it's still not fun or remotely easy.

I understand if Tri's were easy, everyone would do it. But I also understand why swimming is considered by many to be the most intimidating part.

Help me. Point me in the right direction. And possibly? Can you do this without charging me by the hour? Please.

Regards,
Girl who wants to complete her Tri.

p.s. if you know of a site where I can join a forum and ask lots of practical questions as well, that would be nifty. Not sure asking my waxing and other such questions here is what I want to be memorialized on google for my daughter to find 10 years from now. Just a thought.

1 comments:

Jen said...

First of all, I should apologize. My post came across whinier than I meant for it to. I know going out and running 5 miles a day, 3 days a week will get you in good shape, but is not the way to train.

Intuitively, I feel this way about swimming as well, and can see that in the swimming plans, BUT as a "true" beginner, I'm not sure where to start. Cut workouts by a third to get more in line where I am? Work up to half? Keep the 10% increase rule I use for running?

*sigh* I'm just lost on how to get better.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails Share

Post-Tri Hug

Post-Tri Hug
You did it Mommy!

Me!

Me!
Hood To Coast Relay 2007

Quotes as I come across them......

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, an hour, a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it last forever.” ~~~Lance Armstrong

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~~~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I like running because it's a challenge. If you run hard, there's the pain----and you've got to work your way through the pain. You know, lately it seems all you hear is 'Don't overdo it' and 'Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond." ~~~Bob Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers general manager, NHL Hall of Famer. (Will-Weber's "Voices From the Midpack" chapter.)

The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don’t define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.~~~Denis Watley

Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. ~~~Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)

Twitter-me-do...

Bloggers' Rights at EFF

Twitter

Followers

Share